Skip to main content

A few words about love...


1 Corinthians 13 Image from Cafe Sozo.

(This short message was shared as part of the wedding ceremony for my friends Daniel and Leanna today...)


"1 If I speak in the tongues[a] of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast,[b] but do not have love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man/woman, I put the ways of childhood behind me. 12 For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love."

The words used to describe love, in Corinthians 13 are: patience, kindness, selflessness, humble, forgiving, truth seeking, peaceful, protective, trusting, hopeful and never ending. This list of character traits is a tall order. Each day of our lives we have the opportunity to seek and live out living a life of love, and that is where a great deal of effort and energy is expended. It is important to remember that living a life of love is not a solitary effort. We can attempt this great task on our own, but the truth of the matter is - we need help to accomplish living a life of love.

This day is a special for L and D, today they have chosen to come to this beautiful space in the company of their family and friends and make the commitment to each other in marriage. Today, you as guests, also have chosen to come to this place to encourage, take part and celebrate the love you have witnessed in the lives of L and D. This celebration is a time for each of us to consider the impact and influence that love can have upon our own lives and relationships.

As I mentioned a few moments ago, the task and calling of love is no small one. In order for love to prosper, it is necessary to know that we must work together if we desire to live lives of love. Even in working together, love's journey can be challenging. The faces we see around us today are not the only source for strength on this journey. In some faith traditions, when making a vow or promise the response to the challenge is: "I will, with the help of God." The names we use to describe God can be vast: Higher power, the Great Spirit, or the trinity of: Creator, Redeemer and Comforter. While the names we use to describe God are vast - our desire for a spiritual relationship and help from God may be even greater.

Love's great task that requires we work together, but we also need to understand that we are not alone in this effort. On this day and the days to come, God is with L and D and God is with all the guests assembled. As we celebrate this day, and move into the days to come; seek to live lives of love, work together in the efforts of that goal, and know that with the help of each other, the community that supports us and God." - love will never fail.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness