Skip to main content

Canine wake up calls



What are the things that wake me up? Quite literally my alarm clock that goes off at 6am every morning to wake me up. Alarm noise is followed by a robust greeting from not-so-dainty 40lb. beagle cattle dog - Aggie. She plops on top of me with great anticipation of the great outdoor trek just minutes away from her Alphas feet hitting the floor.

If I don't move fast enough, doggy kisses are on the way.
Doggy kisses at 6am have an effective wake up call for just about anyone - espically me.

When I think about the awareness of my dog, and her ability to be present to the moment, I'm challenged. In my very human way, I will so often be in a moment but at the same time be thinking, planning, or working out the moment that has passed or is yet to come.

Dogs don't get caught up in the past or the future. Dog's live in the present. Even in the midst of a snoring canine sleep, Aggie will hear a noise and jump to attention barking at whatever has upset her rest. Often times, she will curl up in a ball, snore like she's sleeping, but her eyes will remain just open enough to be aware of her surroundings.

Wake up calls in life are usually big things. Wake up calls can be red flags that shout for changes that need to happen - and happen fast. Wake up calls can take the shape of a text, email or phone call from someone in crisis, that make us consider "What if this was me?" There is a song by Mat Kearney called Closer to Love with the lyric, "I guess we're all one phone call from our knees(in prayer, in grief, etc...)."



Just like this song says, wake up calls can also be things of great beauty that help us to see our world in ways we never imagined, help us take a step closer to living with great purpose in our lives and chasing after almost forgotten dreams. Wake up calls can help bring us closer to love.

Wake up calls are important in this way, but what if living in the moment and the space of love helped us stay in the place of awareness, just like my dog Aggie?

Waking up is so much more than rolling our of bed at 6am. Waking up is a holistic practice, that I need more practice in. Movement in life needs to be more than going through my paces. Each day, each moment, each opportunity, each conversation, each person is something/someone to be attentive and alert to.

Prayer:
God, help me to be on watch. Help me to be more aware of the grace and blessings you give in each moment of my days. Give me the ability to jump to attention more and go through the motions less. But even more than jumping, help me to live this life you have given to me with great anticipation and excitement every day. There is a great walk right around the corner, help me to hear and be ready to go when you call.
Amen


"Therefore, keep awake — for you do not know when the master of the house will come, in the evening, or at midnight, or at cockcrow, or at dawn, or else he may find you asleep when he comes suddenly. And what I say to you I say to all: Keep awake."

Mark 13:35-37

Comments

Mel said…
Waking up is a holistic practice, that I need more practice in. Movement in life needs to be more than going through my paces. Each day, each moment, each opportunity, each conversation, each person is something/someone to be attentive and alert to.

Boy that's a wake-up call in and of itself. But it's very well said. And very well true.

Blessings of the season to you and yours, ma'am.
And thank you for this. Oh, and the video--very cool song.....

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness