Skip to main content

Be a lid or "Just show up"

This week, I had some time to catch up with some friends over dinner. We all are moms. we take care of people in our vocations and we all share faith in God.We talk about everything when we get together: work challenges, family stuff, health problems, joys, losses, the present, our pasts and our hopes for the future. It's always a lively time for conversation, laughter and a few tears. This time is precious to us.
On my way home from our dinner, I caught a ride with my friend Sally to my office and was sat for another good hour and continued to talk about God, our work and how all that works with family. Sally and her family created and work in a ministry called 6 Baer Essentials. Here is Sally's excerpt from her website that better explains the work they do:
____________
6BE has a heart for the impoverished community of Dahley Ethiopia-a rural area just outside the capital city of Addis Ababa.  We believe that working with the folks of Dahley through our after-school program, library, sponsorship program, chicks for chicks  and community programs will create a future for us all based on Faith and Love. One day at a time, together, we can move towards Love and away from fear. Keeping families together, encouraging dreams.
__________
Over the course of our dinner and extended conversation about ministry life, we came to the conclusion that either in Ethiopia or here in the states that: life is messy. It may seen like a simple conclusion to make, but as we shared stories from our daily lives; we realized more than ever that there is nothing tidy or predictable in our vocational or personal lives.  So often, I strive to MAKE something work, or PLAN out a project, and even DICTATE how the end result will be in something.

However (take a deep breath here):I don't have it all together. I don't have all the answers. I can't be and won't ever be the "magic bullet" to solve all obstacles and challenges that are and ever will be. Always, the process - people - and experience is MESSY! So then, one might ask, "Why do this thing that you do?".

Over many years, trials and tears I continue to work in ministry because I feel God has called me to it. Sally, I'd say would agree. While we know that God has called us to our vocations, we also know that and change, improvement and intervention is God's doing. Let me explain it this way.

A few years ago, I received a gift of a clay pot that you can cook a small chicken in. The pot has a glazed base that you set the chicken in and the unglazed top half sets on the top of the base to hold in the water, seasoning and juices while cooking. Before you place the chicken in the oven, it's important to soak the clay lid in water. Over the course of cooking in the clay pot, the chicken becomes really tender and the skin becomes a nice crispy brown. To be honest, that clay pot is the best chicken cooking tool I've used. It takes a plain fryer chicken and turns it into a meal you'd see on a gourmet cooking show. So here is my point. Living a life of faith is like cooking with a clay chicken pot.

The gift of the clay pot is Jesus.
The glazed base is God.
The chicken is the work or mission.
The Holy Spirit is in with all the spices and water the chicken simmers. 

You can imagine our laughter when we came to this analogy and I shouted, "We're the lid! Sally, we're the lid!"

Without the gift of Jesus we would not have a place to start.
Without the glazed base we'd have no place to rest.
Without the chicken, our purpose would be removed.
Without the Holy Spirit, we would dry out and crack in the heat of life.

"We are the lids.
We do have gifts.
We hold, protect and care
for the ones God places there.
Our job is to show up, soak up the Spirit, 
deliver it's care in the midst of the heat, 
for each one we meet.
 For this one till it's done, and this one, and even this one."

We all have missions that God calls us to. Yes they are messy. and yes we all will make mistakes. But knowing that God is carrying the weight of the world makes it a little easier to 'be a lid'. The next time you wonder if God might be calling you to serve, help, care or help - show up to the mess of life and ask God to help you be the lid that is needed there. 
Hold on.

What comes of it my surprise, shock, unhinge and bless your socks off and that's ok.Your the lid that holds things in place, until they are "done". God's kind of done can be different than our kind, but that's the way. Be a lid.

Image found at American Cancer Society.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness