Skip to main content

Maya's words against prejudice is the balm we need to live with courage...

Over the last week there have been news reports, online commentary, and what seems to be a never-ending display of chaos, anger, grief, ignorance, and disbelief over the terrible loss because of the shooting in Santa Barbara, California as well as the feedback over Elliot Roger's actions.

While I rarely post responses to current events, this event is one I can't allow to pass. Sides are being drawn in the aftermath of this tragedy from every perspective imaginable. This account has lit a fire for so many people. The sheer tragedy of this story is beyond comprehension; but the root of its cause is something that people live and struggle with every day. Prejudice.

Maya Angelou, a brilliant poet, speaker and human being; who sadly passed away earlier today has this to say concerning the effect of prejudice:


"Prejudice is a burden that confuses the past, threatens the future and renders the present inaccessible."



At this very moment  confusion, threat and inaccessibility, are great descriptive emotions consistent for many people so effected by this backlash of this tragedy. Somehow, I think Maya's words concerning prejudice may be a clue to the root of actions like this. 

The person who carried out this crime felt judged by those who rejected him, the people attacked and killed received (more than) judgement for declining his attentions. The action of judging or being judged as one thing or another, as well as what we fall short of being is another ground for prejudice to be bred. The laundry list of prejudice is already too long: race, gender, orientation. There needs to be a tool to help dispel this tug of war of acceptance or not accepting one another;before there are any more casualties. 

Once again, Miss Maya gives some wisdom concerning what this protective tool against prejudice may be:

"One isn't necessarily born with courage, but one is born with potential. Without courage, we cannot practice any other virtue with consistency. We can't be kind, true, merciful, generous, or honest."


Today is a day where we all need more kindness, truth, mercy, generosity, and honesty; but these characteristics are not sustainable with out the foundation of courage. Courage, I pose, may be the very tool we most need. 

In the day's ahead, there is sure to be disingenuous and hurtful statements posted, commented, and shares related to this current news story. However,thinking and speaking with courage, usually is done out of the concern and benefit of others.  In light of the lives of so many that are impacted by this loss; may we all remember that these posts and articles are about real people, with real emotions and real families. 

Taking courage in the days ahead will call all to lay down their prejudices, threats and barriers and consider what might be possible for our communities with a strong foundation. If courage is laid first, then kindness, truth, mercy, generosity, and honesty could be a living reality; instead of a far-off ideal.



Peace, comfort and condolences to those who have lost friends and family in the Santa Barbara shooting. Thank you Miss Maya for your challenging and inspiring words. God speed. You will be missed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness