Skip to main content

The Empowerment Project Screening on June 12th


2015 Detroit Youth Gathering PSA
Baskets-full of Empowerment for local youth
July 15 to 19, 2015 marks the whirlwind week for the triannual Evangelical Lutheran Church of America’s National Youth Gathering in Detroit, MI. The almost week-long trip will engage youth in grades 9 to 12 in service projects, education and opportunity to worship with over 30,000 Lutheran youth from across the United States.

For the last three years a local Lutheran team, (Emily Magnuson, Kirsten Magnuson, Emily Whitney, Lydia Gozdalski, Caylee Shelters, Darcy Whitney and Vicar Tara Eastman) have been raising funds and making preparations for this summer’s mission and education trip to Detroit.
A major fundraiser and team building project will take place on Friday June 12th at 7pm in the parlors of First Lutheran Church. This fundraiser will include a basket raffle (basket donations are welcome) and a screening of the documentary film, “The Empowerment Project”.

The Film
The Empowerment Project is the incredible journey of a crew of female filmmakers driving across America to encourage, empower, and inspire the next generation of strong women to go after their career ambitions.

Driving over 7,000 miles from Los Angeles to New York over the course of 30 days, the documentary spotlights 17 positive and powerful women leaders across a variety of lifestyles and industries. In celebration of the all-female focus in front of and behind the camera, the filmmakers turned the cameras on themselves, capturing their transformational journey.
The film challenges the audience to ask themselves, "What would you do if you weren't afraid to fail?"

The Exclusive Film Screening
As this local group of young women and their two leaders are transformed by their travels to Detroit, we ask for support in attending this exclusive film screening (for ages 9 and up) and taking part in the basket raffle. The proceeds from the fundraiser will go to defray the costs of gasoline and food during the 5 day trip to Detroit. The movie tickets are $3.00 per person and basket raffle tickets will be available at the event.


The film rental costs were provided by a partnership between First Lutheran Church, Thrivent and the AAUW (Empowering Women since 1881). To learn more about the documentary film, visit empowerentproject.com or call Vicar Tara Eastman at First Lutheran Church 716-664-4601.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness