Skip to main content

Three things you need to know about me

There are a few things you should probably know about me.

1. It is necessary for me to be creative.
2. Relationships born and fostered in community are my life-blood.
3. Serving God in the Church is my long-standing vocation.


Image found at: grdodge.org

1. Creativity

"31 he (God) has filled him with divine spirit,[a] with skill, intelligence, and knowledge in every kind of craft," Exodus 35:31

Perhaps it's because I grew up in a rural community in North Western Pennsylvania where I had time and space to play or the fact that my family valued music, art and reading; but I love to create. While some folks may designate a specific hobby or art medium they prefer to work with; I love to choose from a varied array of subjects to engage in creative process. From cooking to painting or singing to writing; creating beautiful things to taste, touch and view is a hobby and focus that gives my life, well, life. Part of what I feel God has called me to is using my creative abilities to encourage others to use their gifts too!


2. Community Relationships:

 "Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly;[a] do not claim to be wiser than you are." Romans 12:16

My children and husband would be the first to tell you that going grocery shopping at home is not just about filling the fridge back up. For me, going to the grocery store is a social event. Having lived in Chautauqua County for over twenty years as well as working in various ministries within the community has a way of helping a person get to know a community and the people that live there. While all of the visiting can make getting groceries rather time consuming, it is a joy to see and speak with people that I share life with. Some I've worked with, worshiped with or just know from shopping at the store; but sharing life and relationships is important to me. Community relationships and family relationships have a way of reminding me that life is not just about me. Life is about who we are as community - together. Living together in any community group is not easy, but God has called us to serve each other in the communities we have be placed. We are called to "Grow where we are planted" and with God's help community spirit and healthy relationships can take root and grow strong.


3. Church: 

" For as in one body we have many members, and not all the members have the same function,  so we, who are many, are one body in Christ, and individually we are members one of  another." Romans 12:4-5


Over the last 20+ years I have served the Church in three different denominations (Salvation Army. The Presbyterian Church of the USA and the Evangelical Lutheran Church of America). Much of my background is in youth and family ministry, but in the last ten years of so I've gain more and more experience in Pastoral ministry and seminary education - and this is the point this journey has brought me to serve as Vicar at the Lutheran Parish of the Tonawanda's.

If it's possible, I usually can find a way to combine my three favorite "C's". To be honest, I feel that when creativity and community are combined with the church - that is where faith, life and hope can be found. As Romans 12:4-5 points to the unique gifts each person holds, I challenge you to consider what your own gifts might be? We all have gifts to share.

What would you like to share?
What is important to you?
What are your three "C's"?

In God's Grace,










Vicar Tara



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness