Skip to main content

Use what you have: Building Community with Art


What happens when you combine canvas, acrylic paint and an open invitation for people to come and create? Community happens.



Earlier in 2015, I was in the midst of considering a practical way to prayerfully observe the season of Advent and my first inclination was to do something creative. In my own heart, I was longing for some space to rest and reflect upon the season of Advent, where hope, peace, joy and love reside.

Through the social networking site, Meetup, I started a group called, "Buffalo Artists Share" and set some dates for a group to gather at a local church to work on an Advent mural project. (For the lesson plan on how to make a canvas mural, email: eastman_tara@yahoo.com.) Church members as well as folks from the Meetup group were invited, over a period of three weeks to come and paint, eat some lunch and get to know each other. The most engaged participants in the project, turned out to be from the general public. 
Over four weeks, the painters painted all four sections of the mural and the mural also was used to compliment the devotional time for pastors in the Niagara Frontier Conference, as well as being used in Christmas Eve worship as a means of reflecting on where the hope, peace, joy and love of God can be found. Because we "used what we had", the community of  St. Mark and Good Shepherd Lutheran Churches was able to connect with the surrounding community of Buffalo both inside and outside of our church and Synod walls. 


For the season of Lent, another community art and spiritual life project is being planned. For five weeks, stories of Jesus life will be shared and people are invited to come, to listen, and to create images based on the story they hear. At the end of the five week sessions, dubbed "Artful Prayer", the group will celebrate with a pot-luck dinner and reveal their creations.


In a time where pastors, parishioners and churches are looking for answers to the questions of how the church can grow; it might be good to take stock in what they already have. Every church might not have a visual artist on hand, but you probably have knitters, woodworkers, cooks, and teachers. If you ask around, I'd bet you find a painter too!

The people who cross your doorstep are our churches greatest asset in helping to build relationships with people on the other side of our church doors. If you long for a place of warmth and hope, you may be surprised to find it in the faces of the people that you already see on Sunday morning. The interests and gifts we already have are the gifts God gives is to share to help build communities of faith that make a difference.

Use what you have, yes you do have it!

Vicar Tara


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness