Skip to main content

Welcome from the heart


From the book Heart Talk author Cleo Wade says this about the heart of welcome…

“We are here to connect, not compare. There is a reason we are not in this world alone. It is because we are all connected and need each other to function peacefully, purposefully and powerfully. We cannot know happiness or our true power if we are constantly in a state of comparison and competition. ..Connection rejects the idea of competing for any one thing and runs, instead, on gratitude and abundance, which weave us more deeply into each other’s lives so that we may better support one another in the world. Connection knows that everything we accomplish in life is much more fulfilling when we help others along the way.”

Her words make me wonder, can actions of welcome be the glue of building connection between people? What would be possible if we truly welcome one another - from the heart?

One of the most extreme experiences of heart welcome I've been in the receiving end happened in an unlikely place - an airport. You may be able to understand the experience of delays in travel. I was in route home east and due to malfunction of planes and an overwhelming number of travelers all heading in the same direction, I found myself wandering the airport terminal trying to find a seat on a flight, any flight, that could get me closer to home.

As I walked from gate to gate, I noticed another woman - doing the same thing as me; trying all the flights to expedite her travel home. Eventually, she and I sat down next to one another, at the gate we were first reserved for , finding out that we had not succeeded in getting on any other flights.

Like it or not, we were going to be waiting at least 4 hours for the next possible flight east.

We tried to make polite conversation. We tried to patiently flip through our magazines or books. But after a few minutes she looked at me hopefully and said, "Are you hungry?" I was,and  agreed that the wait would be better on a full stomach. With delight, she hopped up from her plastic seat and said, "I've got a plan - come with me!" 

She led me down the terminal with child-like joy and when we got to the "Club" doors, she said "Follow my lead!" She took out her pass and the staff let her in the door. They asked me for my pass and all I could say was, "I don't have one." and I started to turn back toward the uncomfortable row of plastic seats calling me back to reality.

This woman took my hand, winked at the staff at the door and said, "We are traveling together, she is with me." The person at the door was convinced and let me into the "Club". Inside were complimentary all you can eat food, snacks, drinks  AND WIFI that actually worked! With the welcoming action of this woman, I was moved from a place of isolation - to a place of belonging. The welcome of her heart - instead of competition for a seat on the next flight home - became the path for her compassion to make a lasting impact on me.

Its been years since this welcoming experience took place, but I remember this woman's joy in sharing what she had with me. I think it is a true fact that welcome from the heart makes room for everyone to be a part of the club.

Welcome the the club humans.
There is room for everyone here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness