Skip to main content

Peace drives world change

Five years ago this Sunday, I gave a sermon on this text with the help of a visual aid: a door!


I used a door – a real, full sized door and chalk to write down the things that the congregation feared.

We literally wrote what we were afraid of on a door. And while I don’t have chalk or a door today for you to write on, we do have the ability to “write” in the comment section.

“What are you afraid of?”

And so, today – I return to the same question – in and amidst an extended Covid 19 “shelter in home”: “What are you afraid of?”

If you feel you can, would your type, there? What thing or worry – keeps coming to the surface of your thoughts in these days? What fear seems to be taking up too much space in the rooms where you live right now?

If you are willing – type these fears in the comment section below… or write them down on some paper at home.


This gospel tells us a story about fear – the disciples are hiding away in a house because they were afraid. They had just lost their teacher and friend Jesus and did not know what to do. The were hiding away, in a room and the door was locked tight. This story feels familiar doesn’t it?

We are in our homes – and some at work; and we are taking precautions to keep each other healthy. Washing of hands. Wearing face masks when we are outside. Staying a distance from others.
All this is essential at the moment – but what I wonder about is our ability to shed some light on the fear that might be accompanying us while we shelter in place. We may be behind doors – literally – but how might the peace of God be our plus one – instead of fear.

I once learned that fear is a healthy reaction to danger – it is a human response to uncertainty; but that no matter what happens – fear should never be allowed to drive our actions. It must sit in the backseat – and is not allowed even allowed to choose the music while traveling. The driver is the driver – and fear will always be a part of the journey – will never, never be permitted to drive and is best sequestered to the back seat. (Thank's Brene' Brown)

Jesus arrival to the locked room of the disciples was to help them reset their place. The disciples had allowed the circumstances and actions of Holy Week to place FEAR in the driver’s seat.


The disciples were shocked to see Jesus – suddenly in the room – moving beyond the fears they were locked behind. Jesus – eats some fish and shows them his wounds – and then he does something amazing… he removes fear from the driver’s seat and places PEACE there instead.

Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. 21 Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” 22 When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit.”

In a word – in his breath – Jesus changes the atmosphere of the room – as well as the hearts and minds of the disciples. Fear is shifted into its appropriate place – a God’s peace sets the tone for the changes they were trying to adapt to.

Jesus peace – and the gift of the Holy Spirit; gives the disciples the room to address their fears, see the changes at hand and find a way to live into the unseen future.

We have a lot in common with the disciples – don’t we?
If we look at the fears, we typed into the comments or wrote down on paper – they might look like something the disciples experienced don’t they?

But the peace of God still shows up in our lives… sometimes in ways we least expect it to.



A few years ago, I had an unusual meeting with a bird – inside my car.
This story is unusual – but I assure you; is totally real.
One morning as I opened my car door - something brushed against my leg. I cautiously turned my head to find a robin there. The robin them hopped into the passenger seat of my car and peacefully settled on the front dash.The robin did not seem scared of me - but looked around calmly for a way to head back into the beautiful sunshine and open sky. I opened the car door and hop, hop, hop - the robin made its way out into the parking lot and flew away.

After she flew away, I could not help but wonder if this feathered friend had a message for me... and googled the meaning of meeting a robin close up and personal. I learned that in some native American traditions, robins are viewed as messengers that carry a message "Peace".

What a surprise – what an awesome gift; to have the message of “peace” show up in the driver’s seat of my car that day. It turns out that peace enters our lives when we least expect it – but most need it – if we are willing to see it “wherever we are”. Peace was needed by the disciples in that locked room and peace is needed in the rooms we currently take shelter in.

The truth is, Jesus can’t be locked out, hidden away or ignored. Jesus always has a way of getting through to us – to bring peace and the gift of the Holy Spirit.
We all have things that cause us to be afraid.
Take a look at what you wrote in the comments or on paper.
Take a deep breath – and under that comment write the word – Peace.
If you wrote on paper – write the word: Peace – over top of the fear.


Yes, uncertainty and fear are a part of each of our daily lives. But fear should never be in the driver’s seat.This place only belongs to peace – even in all the changes we face.
We and the disciples have fears – but Jesus offers us peace.

Jesus relieves our fears… and breathes the gift of the Holy Spirit over us. Just like the disciples - we are no longer captive to fear – because of what Jesus has done. In Jesus, the power of the Holy Spirit relocates our fear and give us…
Breath, Peace, Forgiveness, and Jesus shows up – even behind locked doors.
The world is changing – the world is much different than we have ever know it to be. Perhaps this changing world is being shifted and moved so that fear can no longer drive the car. Perhaps Peace is being called – and we as agents of God’s peace are being called to a new way of living by the power of the Holy Spirit.
We didn’t know how the world would change – we didn’t see things this strange new way. We long for a brand-new day – what new way, in the peace of God, can our world change?
AMEN

                                                   Light in the dark by: Tara L. Eastman


Song Lyrics of “World Change” by Tara L. Eastman

We didn't know how the world would change. We didn't see this strange new way. We long for a brand-new day. What new way can our world change? (World change, world change)

People loved we long to see, with our eyes, oh let this be. People sick that we long to hold, to the depths of their soul. Long for touch and long to be, held in the arms of infinity. 

Oh, how I need the sound of the train and the fall of spring rain - and the promise we'll be home again. (World change. World change.)

Seek to live full and complete.
Seek to seek out dignity.
Seek to say what must be said.
Seek to pray for all that's led.
Send a touch and simply be-
Held in the arms of infinity.

Oh how I need the sound of the train and the fall of spring rain - and the promise we'll come home again. (World change. World change.)

We didn't know how the world would change. We didn't see this strange new way. We long for a brand-new day. What new way can our world change? (World change, world change)

Lyrics and music by Tara L. Eastman April 13, 2020 copyright 2020

John 20:19-31 
When it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and the doors of the house where the disciples had met were locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.” After he said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples rejoiced when they saw the Lord. Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” When he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”

But Thomas (who was called the Twin), one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. 25So the other disciples told him, “We have seen the Lord.” But he said to them, “Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands, and put my finger in the mark of the nails and my hand in his side, I will not believe.” A week later his disciples were again in the house, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were shut, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here and see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it in my side. Do not doubt but believe.” Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!”  Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe.” Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book. But these are written so that you may come to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that through believing you may have life in his name.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness