Skip to main content

Re-remembering Easter is for ALL!



Luke 24:1-12New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

The Resurrection of Jesus
But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they came to the tomb, taking the spices that they had prepared. They found the stone rolled away from the tomb, but when they went in, they did not find the body. While they were perplexed about this, suddenly two men in dazzling clothes stood beside them. The women were terrified and bowed their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, “Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here, but has risen. Remember how he told you, while he was still in Galilee, that the Son of Man must be handed over to sinners, and be crucified, and on the third day rise again.” Then they remembered his words, and returning from the tomb, they told all this to the eleven and to all the rest. Now it was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the other women with them who told this to the apostles. But these words seemed to them an idle tale, and they did not believe them. But Peter got up and ran to the tomb; stooping and looking in, he saw the linen cloths by themselves; then he went home, amazed at what had happened.

In the Lenten season, we hid away the word “alleluia” from our worship. In Lent reflection and quietness, some might say we buried this word and, in our church community, exchanged it for other words to accompany our Lenten walk.


We literally chose words to carry with us at the beginning of what we would not know was to be such a unique Lent. We chose words like; Teamwork, hope, peace, love and forgiveness – not knowing the effects of quarantine and the fight against Covid 19. We did not yet know what new world we would be living into, but these words – were tucked into our hearts – as armor of sorts to strengthen us to live Lent in a-most-authentic way.

We had no idea how authentic our Lent would be. Letting go of the extras, became more and changes and changes once again. But if there ever was a Lent, that I remember being so focused on prayer – and our need for prayer. This one is it. This Lent, Holy Week and Easter – due to the call to prayer – have helped be to re-remember this promise of new life and resurrection in a totally new way.



In the photo you see here – is my Easter circa 1981.
When I try to re-remember the Easter’s of my childhood, I recall pastel dresses for my sister, myself and our Mom. Suits for my brother and Dad. Easter baskets filled with goodies hidden very well in the house (if there still was snow) and outdoors in our yard  (that was 95 acres of woods).

There always was Easter Sunday worship – the singing of joyful hymns – and some Easter’s a trip to Pittsburgh to visit my Grandparents and extended family for church and a big family dinner. There was also – the resurrection story of Jesus and the promise of new life… even in the challenges and heartaches of life.

When I re-remember childhood Easter – I notice some differences. 

Instead of being the on hearing the sermon – now I’m giving the sermon!

If you were to take a moment to re-remember Easters of years past… what would you re-remember?

This Holy Week,  Maundy Thursday and Good Friday – may be different than ones we’ve experienced in the past – but if we take a moment, I think we could re-remember the story and recognize that this Easter is one where we’ve dig deeper. It has been my experience this year to witness a desire of God’s presence in a more authentic way.

As we waved palms in our homes and listened to the passion, Jesus last week of life before and through his crucifixion and burial came alive to us in new ways. Just as we carried our words of hope through Lent, Holy Week has given us time and space to re-remember the life and death of Jesus – and our hope of resurrection and new life.

Today’s gospel tells us the amazing story of Jesus’s resurrection and the reason we say “Alleluia’… this story helps us to re-remember, deep in our souls that we all long for new life.

As the stone is rolled away and the angels ask Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the other women …“Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here, but has risen. Remember how he told you, while he was still in Galilee, that the Son of Man must be handed over to sinners, and be crucified, and on the third day rise again.”

Remember how he told you, remember
Could it be, that what they had hoped for, this miracle of new life was not to be forgotten. Could Jesus have risen? Could Jesus have broken the power of sin and death? How could they re-remember what Jesus had told him?  

In Jesus crucifixion and death, the women stayed on, they carried on with the care of his body… but as they had laid him in the tomb, wrapped in cloth and pungent spices.

But as they cared for the body of Jesus – were they able to remember what he promised?
Or were they afraid that death had won once and for all?

This is the fear we all carry…


But then – the angel appears – and as angels do, they chase away our deepest fears. They heard the angel – it was their reminder, even though things still seemed fuzzy.

What was it that Jesus had said about his resurrection?
Could they re-remember?

From hopes dashed – to the words of the angel…the women at the tomb  suddenly re-remembered the hope of Jesus resurrection.

The women, would tell the disciples about Jesus resurrection…
They were filled with hope and joy; re-remembering that their experience with Jesus was not over.

This was just the beginning!
The weight of their grief washed away.
The angel’s words helped them to re- remember Jesus
– and re-remember faith, hope and love.

All that Jesus had taught and shown them was REAL!
Jesus was no longer dead – but alive – alive and continuing to proclaim God’s message of forgiveness and love!

The women at the tomb, were messengers to the world…
 “Jesus is risen! Jesus is risen indeed!”

The words that we carried through Lent, the prayers we prayed with depth and determination  – help us to hold on to hope in-the-midst of our grief and challenges. Our words for  Lent helped us to stay afloat in the choppy waves of a time of hope differed.

These Lenten words were like breadcrumbs, beacons of light, buoys to help us come ashore safely… to make it to this Easter. As we held fast to Hope, Love, Reconciliation, Unity, Peace…we re-remembered Jesus.
We waited with anticipation with, Hallelujah sticks in hand, to sing, say and shout; “Alleluia  - Christ is risen- Christ is risen indeed!”

This Easter is different than some Easter’s we’ve know; but in the way that Easter has always proclaimed the resurrection of Jesus – this Easter faithfully is ours.

Easter morning has come. It is time for us, like the women at the tomb, to re-remember, that Christ is no longer dead but alive.


Once, not that long ago, I lived in a world that did not welcome or accept the voice, presence or preaching of a woman. Today, I am proof of the impossible but actual witness – like that of Mary Magdalene,  of my calling to preach and the work of the Holy Spirit. Today, I am a preacher and proclaim the Jesus good news and invitation to ALL people into the kin-dom of God.

So, I ask you, what voice is Jesus giving to you this Easter? Like Mary, like Peter; will you also join me in proclaiming the good news that… “Christ is risen, Christ is risen indeed!”

I am not the only preacher today – you also are called to be preach the good and glorious good news. The hope of new life is no longer deferred. Hope is here!

 We are the women at the tomb, blinking in wonder, perhaps fearful of what happens next; until we remember that the empty tomb means that death is defeated – that... “Jesus Christ is risen, Alleluia, Christ is risen indeed.”


God, help us re-remember, your blessing is greater than any curse.
God help us re-remember  - love is stronger than hate!
God help us re-remember, Jesus is… risen, living, working, and redeeming our lives.
God help us re-remember, Jesus is risen … so that ALL people may know about the all-encompassing, never-ending, death-can’t-stop it – power of love!”
God help us re-remember and proclaim – that this Easter of all Easters, our hope is fulfilled and “Alleluia, Jesus Christ is risen; Christ is risen indeed. 

AMEN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness