Skip to main content

Salt, fat, acid and heat: a new perspective on Maundy Thursday

Prayer Mantra:
Stay with me, remain here with me – watch and pray. Watch and pray.

Gospel Reading:   John 13:1-17, 31b-35

Now before the festival of the Passover, Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart from this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end… And during supper Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going to God, got up from the table, took off his outer robe, and tied a towel around himself. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet and to wipe them with the towel that was tied around him. He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, "Lord, are you going to wash my feet?" Jesus answered, "You do not know now what I am doing, but later you will understand." Peter said to him, "You will never wash my feet." Jesus answered, "Unless I wash you, you have no share with me." Simon Peter said to him, "Lord, not my feet only but also my hands and my head!" Jesus said to him, "One who has bathed does not need to wash, except for the feet, but is entirely clean… After he had washed their feet, had put on his robe, and had returned to the table…
Little children, I am with you only a little longer. You will look for me; and as I said to the Jews so now, I say to you, `Where I am going, you cannot come.' I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."





When we think of the Last Supper meal we see and hear Jesus having a moment of preparation for what is to come: his arrest, his betrayal, his trial and his crucifixion. And while it can be easy for us to rush into the garden and what awaits Jesus and the disciples there, lets pause in this upper room and take it in.

The food elements of the Passover meal were symbolic of the experiences of the Jewish people who were captive in Egypt – as well as their escape from slavery with the help of God. There were many food items on the Passover plate: lamb, unleavened bread, bitter herbs, Haroseth (or 'haroses'), Wine and Green herbs and Egg to be dipped in salt water. While we don’t have time to unpack all the elements of this Passover meal, tonight I would like to focus on the egg in salt water.

In a Seder Meal – Passover Meal: The Salt water represents tears of sorrow shed during the captivity of the Lord's people AND a hard-boiled egg (historically later)in Seder meals – represents hope of new life/spring.

So, in this sacred Seder meal – we have salt, heat, fat (and in the other element – acid) to create a balance of flavors that represent the fullness of human experience of slavery to freedom and everything in-between.

Earlier in the service, I dropped a hard-boiled egg in colorful water. The egg being a symbol of hope for new life, the vinegar and color tablet the acid activated in water that reminds us of baptism – that without the hot salt water ;we would not have a-very-good-boiled-egg. Heat is the action we need to make something new.So in this Seder meal, we have salt for tears of captivity, egg for hope of new life, heat to make a meal possible and acid to activate the colors and hope of resurrection.

This Easter is like no other we have experienced.

We are working together – in our joys and sorrows to live into a new reality. We are taking shelter in our homes – awaiting what is to come on the other side of the pandemic. Like Jesus and the disciples – the upper room is offered to us tonight – to remember our past, to live in our present and to hold hope for the future. The elements of cooking are more to me this week than that – they like the foods on a Seder plate – remind me that life is both joy and sorrow.

In heat, acid, salt and fat. I see this story of Jesus at the Last Supper in a new way. Things outside that upper room – will heat up, people will be activated to actions they may regret, there will be many salty tears in Jesus journey to the cross – and yet on that Seder plate is a egg to be eaten with the salt water; to remind us – there is hope outside that door too.

How does your Holy Week journey include heat, acid, salt and fat – where in our action, movement, tears, hunger and hope –  where do we long for the presence of God?

We color eggs – we dip them in vinegar, color tablets and water… even in this familiar Easter activity; can we remember our baptism?
Will we remember the story of the Israelite Passover?
Will we remember Jesus feeding, teaching, and washing the feet of his disciples in that upper room?

Heat, acid, salt and fat is in this story all through Holy Week. 

May this Last Supper feed your heart, soul and mind. Pause in this upper room – take in this meal as we walk with Jesus towards the cross – walking together in grace.

AMEN

Prayer Mantra:
Stay with me, remain here with me – watch and pray. Watch and pray.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness