Skip to main content

An Unpredictable Garden


Years ago, I planted a small 6 foot by 6-foot garden at an apartment complex where my family and I lived. The caretakers for the grounds told me that the soil was impeded by a complete layer of clay about 8 inches under the topsoil. If I did not remove the clay from my garden plot, my tomatoes, zucchini, and morning glories would have no chance of growing.


So, upon taking the caretaker's advice about the clay, I proceeded to dig up the topsoil and grass. As they had told me, the clay layer was fully blocking access to the soil beneath it. All day long, I chipped and dug and removed wheelbarrow-full, by wheelbarrow-full of clay out of my small plot of land. At the end of that day, I was soaked with sweat, but I knew I was making progress to break through to good soil.

After all the topsoil and clay that had been removed; it was necessary for me to refill the 6x6 plot back in with many bags of gardening soil. The soil was filled in, my starter seeds were planted and the time of waiting and weeding began.

Every morning I watered the plants, wound the morning glories around the fence as they grew and watched for signs of growth and  blooms that promised a reward of harvest.

Over the weeks of preparation, many people told me my garden would never grow. "Why are you bothering with all this work for a few vegetables?", my neighbors would exclaim.

It was a great deal of labor that little garden -  but the morning I found blossoms on the tomato and zucchini plants – I celebrated! The harvest was not huge from the few plants there – but against all odds, they produced fruit. In all the doubt of my neighbors – that turned to them coming by to wonder at the veggies growing; this little garden became a place of unexpected grace and hope.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I hear the parable of the sower from Matthew 13 – I see the determined generosity – and some might say excess – of the wide-reaching planting of the sower. Unlike my gardening experience, there was no tilling, or placing of “good soil” after all the clay had been removed. The sower liberally and openly tosses seed wherever they go: the path, rocky ground, thorny ground, and good soil. For all the seed sown in these unexpected places – I am sure the sower heard the same refrain I did when planting in a field of clay… “Why bother?”

This parable of Jesus has many lessons for us – but just for today, let us consider the idea of the generosity of God – and how it is a grace to be called as partners in the labor of God’s kingdom.

In this parable – the sower sews widely on the path, rocky ground, thorny ground, and good soil. In this action, I see and hear the generous nature of God. The sower tosses seed, a valuable asset, to all places. The sower does not limit their sewing to one space and sews everywhere. The role of the sower is to sow seed. And so, this sower tosses seed – tossed hope of new life, the possibility of growth in all environments, wherever they go. Even during criticism, “Why bother?” the sower sews. This is the work of the sower – to toss seed everywhere. In this action of the sower – I see the wildly generous nature of God.

In the critique, “Why bother”, I hear the call of God – to us, to people – to come alongside the overwhelming generous and sometimes illogical work of nurturing space for unexpected grace and hope.

When you hear me say – God calls us to the work of grace and hope; do not hear a message of “work” or “glory”. What I speak of is the call of discipleship. What I speak of is the call of following Jesus into the unexpected, clay layered, thorny, hot, and challenging work of grace.

Grace calls us to action.

Grace moves us to change.

Grace helps us to see and hear things in new ways.

Deep, rich amazing grace is disruptive to the “status quo”?

God is always about the work of bringing new life – of sewing seed of hope widely. This generous nature of God makes me wonder…

·       Will I bother to join God in this generous and challenging work of sharing the good news to all people in all places.

·       Can my imagination be filled with a vision of unpredictable gardens – in places I least expect to find them?

·       Will I listen – with the ears God has given me – to the message of sewing seeds of grace and hope.

There is a quote attributed to Martin Luther, “ Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree.”

Here the author of grace – not works; expresses the call of a Christian to the work of sewing seeds of hope. A call to action. A call to looking despair who says,
“Why Bother”, squarely in the eye – and plant an apple tree anyway.

Why should we bother to plant trees and gardens in places that might not seem best?

God gives all of god’s self to give us new life. God is lavish in caring for their children. God desires for all seeds sown to take root and grow. God tills the rocky and clay filled soil of the human heart – and brings us to new life…

So, as children of God – we are called to this generous work of hope and grace too.

In this work of grace, we will face the “Why bother’s” and worse – but the work is worth it. For the hope of new life. For the idea that “all are welcome” in the kingdom of God. For the reality of unpredictable gardens actually bearing fruit – it is more that worth the work that God calls us to take up.

I remember that summer of the unpredictable garden and how I enjoyed those vegetables and flowers on my front path. It was exciting to see that growth was possible, with the right combination of care, nurture, persistence, and the generosity of God were focused on in that tiny vegetable patch. Not only did that patch grow vegetables – it grew a space for people to see hope come to life. God’s generosity showed up, in the middle of a community that lived in a constant state of, “Why bother?” God knew that I – and my neighbors needed to see new life with our own eyes; and called us into the work of hope, where we lived.

We all have clay barriers, weeds, rocks, and paths parched by the sun. We have neighbors and perhaps even in ourselves the idea that new life or something good cannot grow. The voice of dissonance, Why Bother, is not always coming from the "neighborhood", but from our own thoughts, actions, and lips.

But the sower sows seed far and wide – it feed the birds – it is carried to fields far flung. The seed of God’s grace even makes it to the tough soil of the human heart – where God grows the most unpredictable – but beautiful - garden of all.

The sower is generous – and calls us into the work of grace and unpredictable gardens. Jesus “bothers” with and for us  - so what is the Spirit calling us to do in response to the grace with have so generously received?

God’s grace calls us to action.

God’s grace moves us to change.

God’s grace helps us to see and hear things in new ways.

God’s deep, rich amazing grace is disruptive to the “status quo”.

Can we hear the call of God’s disruptive grace?

Will we be bothered by grace into action?

Will we follow Jesus – not as an idea – but as the grace-work of our daily lives?

Children of God – imagine what could grow… if “we bother” to hear Jesus and join in the generous work of God’s grace.

 " Good soil to feel welcome, good soil to go home, good soil is the place I can grow..."

 

Prayer:

"God my loving creator, work out the plot of my life.

Dig past the weeds, use your spade of love to break past the hard clay that blocks growth.

Reach to the deep, rich soil of my tilled heart and plant the seeds you see me fit to produce to a harvest of faith, hope and love."


Matthew 13:1-9, 18-23

1That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat beside the sea. 2Such great crowds gathered around him that he got into a boat and sat there, while the whole crowd stood on the beach. 3And he told them many things in parables, saying: “Listen! A sower went out to sow. 4And as he sowed, some seeds fell on the path, and the birds came and ate them up. 5Other seeds fell on rocky ground, where they did not have much soil, and they sprang up quickly, since they had no depth of soil. 6But when the sun rose, they were scorched; and since they had no root, they withered away. 7Other seeds fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked them. 8Other seeds fell on good soil and brought forth grain, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty. 9Let anyone with ears listen!”

  18“Hear then the parable of the sower. 19When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what is sown in the heart; this is what was sown on the path. 20As for what was sown on rocky ground, this is the one who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy; 21yet such a person has no root, but endures only for a while, and when trouble or persecution arises on account of the word, that person immediately falls away. 22As for what was sown among thorns, this is the one who hears the word, but the cares of the world and the lure of wealth choke the word, and it yields nothing. 23But as for what was sown on good soil, this is the one who hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and yields, in one case a hundredfold, in another sixty, and in another thirty.”

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness