Skip to main content

Graduation, moving up and more... (photo journal)


Just like shadows reflected in a pool of sparkling water, I've been reflecting on the happenings of life in my family over the past few weeks.

Join me in my gazing into Sleeping With Bread for this week...

It has been a blessing so far this summer to have the opportunity to be present and accounted for on some rites of passage with my children and family.



Here is Erin with her crew of dearest friends. I'm so proud of her success in completing this goal of earning her associates as a single mom. Here is a photo of her little guy Eli celebrating in his own toddler way!





End of School/Fun Activities:

In the last few years my work schedule made it impossible for me to go on the end of the field trips and activities with my kids, so seeing that I have the ability to flex my work week at my new Church, I decided to jump into the world of my kids for the last week or so of school activities.

Visiting Midway Park is a tradition in elementary school trips that are far and few in happening. We enjoyed a beautiful sunny day with several rides on the tilt-o-whirl...dragon roller coaster and more. (Don't forget the arcade!)


Last weekend was filled with several activities for our local calender: the Yazzou Festival (a Fundraiser for our local Greek Orthodox parish) complete with Baklava and Spinach Pie! We participated by getting dinner at the event and then heading off for girls and boys nights respectivly. The boys headed out for a movie (Fantastic 4: #2) and Heather and I headed out to see a local rock show at the Ice Arena downtown...



Between the local festivals, Church activities and music events last weekend we had a wonderful dizzy time.

Heather and Nigel's Awards 07'


Heather and Nigel both had moving up programs this week as she will be up to high school and he will be up to middle school in the fall.

Here are some photos of the Awards Programs for both Heather and Nigel:

Heather and Grandma Janet @ 8th grade graduation!

Casey, Heather and Amanda @ Graduation.

Nigel receives an art and academic award.

Student Council Certificates

Nigel says CHEESE!

Friday was the last day of school and a doctors appointment for Nigel at Children"s Hospital in Buffalo. After the kids picked up their report cards and said their goodbyes to their teachers and classmates we were off to Buffalo for a trip to
hospital and the Buffalo Zoo for good measure!


Buffalo at the Buffalo Zoo.


My favorite exhibit - the gorillas!


Oh yes and the sea lions. This one kept swimming up to the surface and splashing water at us. It was only after walking to the underground observation room that I remembered being at the zoo as a child - on my 6th grade girl scout trip with my mom.
I like the synchronicity of having this opportunity with my own kids!



Heather and Nigel in the deep blue sea.



At the end of the week and a half of time with my family I've begun to gather the value of balance between what we always wish life could be and really what it is. Last summer was one so busy with caring for and spending time with others that I hope I never forget the value of time spent with the ones closest to us... our families.
May I sleep with the memories of these days in my heart and the passion for creating more in the days to come in how I speak, love and live with my ever growing and changing family!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness