Skip to main content

SWB: Rooted and uprooted



There are ways in the last week that I've felt re-rooted and uprooted and I suppose that is just the way life can be. A few weeks ago, I was bothered by a dream that left me upon waking with an overwhelming sense of failure. I was not feeling or sensing this emotion in my waking existence, but somewhere in my subconscious it was lurking the way this kind of feeling lurks in dark corners of the psyche only to find release in REM moments of dreamland. It was a bad dream. I don't remember much of the details, just an oppressive feeling of.. "I really messed up and it can't be fixed."

For the most part, I shrugged off this seemingly random dream and went about my life. I was at the NYWC in Pittsburgh, so I had lots of things to keep me busy and occupied. I resumed the pace of life when returning home to my family and my work and planned out the remaining months of the year of youth activities and gatherings without so much as missing a beat. That is until tripping over the words of a friend and co-worker last Sunday morning.

The scripture chosen for the day was the parable of the talents. So there was much thinking on the area of gifts and the use of gifts. Needless to say, it got me thinking on all the hopes and dreams I have and maybe, just maybe some of the shortfalls of the past came to mind. Maybe even some of the feelings of that random dream came creeping along too... that is until I heard someone say my name and came back to the reality of Sunday morning worship where I was sitting.
My friend said to me... " Tara, God did not call you here to fail."

That was it - simple and direct - in the middle of his message to the church members gathered. In the middle of the message, was a direct message to me - me! My nightmare was obliterated in a few powerful words.

Forget the dream and feelings of failure - God has a different plan than you can imagine. In the words of Krista Tippett, " ...each of us, flawed and inadequate as we may feel, has exactly what's needed to help repair (or accomplish what needs to be done) the part of the world that we see and touch" (Speaking of Faith, pg 184.)

Wherever I feel rooted or uprooted, God is sufficient - more that sufficient really. Though I felt affirmed and moved to tears in worship by the words that addressed me last Sunday morning, I was not fully aware of their magnitude in the coming day.

Monday afternoon, a new but particularly close friend of mine died suddenly from a massive heart attack. I feel totally uprooted by his death and yet I know that my presence at his funeral later today will be a rooting experience for me. It is a reality check and a opportunity of re-rooting in grace that I'm holding onto today.
I know that God is the root and I'm a branch that has experienced pruning in the past, in today and in will come again in the future. Even in pain, growth occurs - sometimes even more so. Today I will do my best to be a advocate for "tikkun olam" - repair the world, even if it is only my small section of branches.

Hold on to the bread. Hold fast to the root.
Tara

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes things are just too small

Sweet Dreams by David Whyte from 'The House of Belonging' When your eyes are tired the world is tired also. When your vision has gone no part of the world can find you. Time to go into the dark where the night has eyes to recognize its own. There you can be sure you are not beyond love. The dark will be your womb tonight. The night will give you a horizon further than you can see. You must learn one thing. The world was made to be free in. Give up all other worlds except the one to which you belong. Sometimes it takes darkness and the sweet confinement of your aloneness to learn anything or anyone that does not bring you alive is too small for you. The slumber of winter has transitioned into spring. The season of lent's wilderness journey has carried us to a time of resurrection, joy and new life. This poem by David Whyte speaks about transition and change. According to the poet's perspective, a time of rest or dreaming can lead to an opportunity for growth, developme...

FCE - Dog stroke in spine

Kahlúa is our 15 year old dog that we adopted from the Humane Society when she was four. She joined our family and has been with us for eleven years so far. This morning we found her laying on the carpet in the dining room and was unable to get up and go outside. After letting her rest for a few hours, I gave her some bread to eat and she got up. She was wobbly so I scooped her up and took her outside to go to the bathroom. She managed to remain standing for a few minutes, but was back down quickly. Her back legs did not want to support her even though she was trying to walk. By this point, she had begin to cry so I called the vet and they said to bring her in for an evaluation. My kids and I tearfully wrapped her up in a blanket and drove to the vet. It seemed as if we were sitting in the waiting room forever. The vet told me that her heart, eye function, and lungs were great - also taking into consideration her age of 15! The problem seemed to be FCE - firocartilanginous embolism: w...

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo...