Skip to main content

SWB: Lightening rods, momentos and celebration


Lightening rods

It was a year ago this weekend that Phyllis Tickle came to the church I was serving at for a weekend long retreat to discuss the emergent/emerging church and her then upcoming book, "The Great Emergence". This year there was another weekend gathering in Tennessee called, "The Great Emergence". They had additional speakers, ( Tony Jones, Doug Pagitt, Nadia Boltz-Weber, Lisa Samson and many more!) but the main focus was on Phyllis's newest book discussing the shifts and changes occurring in the church today. In recalling last year's mini preview event, I feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to meet and get to know Phyllis as well as Karen Sloan, (author of "Flirting with Monasticism") who attended and led a session last year.

It is exciting to have people in our lives that are something like lightning rods. People who challenge us, help us focus on the important things, and help us to remember the importance of joy and love that energize us. I recall how filled up I felt after that weekend last December. My mind was buzzing with all the knowledge that Phyllis shared and my heart was hopeful for the possibilities of the ministry at the church. I was encouraged to always listen to my gut, to seek after the things that make me curious about life, to pursue the things that are life-giving. So even in the midst of some difficult times last year, being laid off, job searching, and all the questioning that was a part of that time; I tried to be a lightening rod too. It's perplexing to look back over last year and realize how much of what was taught that December weekend were only ideas then, but as the year progressed the words that were spoken, they kept me going.

Thank you lightening rods.

Mementos



(Snapshot of my sister Heather and I when I was about 6 months old.)

One word is the greatest memento in my life and that word is Grandpap.

This weekend marks the sixth year anniversary of my Grandfathers passing. He taught me how to belly laugh, sing with my whole heart, and putter in a garden. I really don't have physical mementos of him, except for the necklace I purchased with some of the money he left to my Mom and she passed on to me from the sale of his home and estate. I'm content with my mind being full of childhood memories of my Grandpap. The summer days sitting on his patio in the glider, the quarters he used to give me before I piled into the back of my parents car to return home after a visit and the wonder bread he'd buy just for me because I never had white bread at home.


(Grandpap and Grandma Dunn)

Even the difficult times when I was estranged from my parents and felt I couldn't attend a family anniversary party, my husband helped me (before we were married) to make a video where I wished them a happy anniversary and then sang them a song and mailed it off to them, the letters of encouragement that my Grandparents sent when no one in my family would speak to me, the way he smiled at me a knew me as he sat on his hospital bed that last time. We sang together in tears and laughter then just like we always did. People used to say we were cut from the same cloth, I think we were something more than that. We were one and the same heart.

This last week, my Aunt Carol passed away after her fight with cancer. Her funeral is taking place this morning as I type. Our relationship was not as close as mine with my Grandpap, but I still have precious mementos of her tucked away in the corners of my mind. (Full glasses of Pepsi, playing "Don't break the ice", and strawberry shampoo.) These memories help us stay connected when the physical connection is no longer there. Memory is our means of communicating the truth of love and that has no barrier at all.


Celebration


Saturday was my son's 12th birthday. It is fantastic for me to imagine how we've all managed to become twelve years older. He's gone from being so tiny, to beginning to look like an almost man. Shoulders broadening, voice wobbling, and getting much closer to looking me in the eye without having to stand on anything.

We went to the movies, played with tech decks, had a feast with a few of his friends at a Mexican restaurant on Saturday, and celebrated with pasta, sparkling grape juice and cheese cake at Grandma's house on Sunday.


(Nigel at about 8 months old)

My little son is now twelve. I remember the look on his tiny face moments after he was born. I called his name and he turned his newborn eyes to meet mine we both knew something very important. We are each others lightening rods, memento and celebration. We are made from the same heart, and still are to this day.

We are made from the same heart.


(Nigel and Heather after this weekend's bake fest)





Click here to join in on NaBloPoMo
8 thankful posts down, 23 to go!

Comments

Elizabeth said…
Blessings as you celebrate and grieve. I love the picture - you ARE made of the same heart!

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

Saying "Open Sesame" to God's Treasure

In an old Bugs Bunny cartoon, called “Ali Baba Bunny” , there are magic words that when spoken opens a cave filled with piles and piles of golden treasure. The magic words are…(see if anyone knows it) Open Sesame! In the cartoon, Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck are on their way to vacation when they stumble upon a cave filled with buried treasure. Bugs Bunny just wants to head for the beach, but Daffy loses control and begins to collect all of the treasure for himself. His famous words go something like this, “Oh boy! I’m rich! I’m independent! I’m socially secure! I’m rich, I’m rich, I’m rich!”   Image found at: o vguide.com  No matter how Bugs tries to convince Daffy that they beach is waiting and that they  shouldn't  bother with the treasure, Daffy become more and more focused, greedy and disengaged from his friend and their plans. Nothing can distract Daffy from the golden treasure. Not Bugs, a magical genie or the consequences of disrupting the treasure that really  didn