Skip to main content

A season of sharing



Where did the sharing start?


Over the past several months, our church has been taking brave steps in the area of sharing life with the greater Lutheran community. In January of 2009, First Lutheran joined in on partnering with SLYM - Shared Lutheran Youth Ministry. This partnership in youth ministry is the large umbrella in which First, Immanuel, Holy Trinity and Bethel Lutheran Churches participate by gathering on a weekly basis (Thursdays 6:30-8:30 grades 5-12) for faith building, fellowship and of course fun!



The SLYM program started it's second program year in September of 2010. There are group gatherings each Thursday evening, that are sometimes split into two age groups - middle and high school, but often the older students are invited along to assist in leadership and learning right along their Adult leaders. Another benefit of this partnership were two training events for volunteers in the SLYM program nights: Princeton Theological Seminary one day training in Cleveland and the ELCA Youth Minsters of WNY retreat at LCLC with presenter Charlie Roberts from Gettysburg Seminary.


The sharing started in this ministry, has begun to spill over into other areas of ministry and mission in the Lutheran community.

So what happened next?

This fall, two other shared ministries were started with the Shared Lutheran Adult Ministry Book club that meets on Thursday evenings (on a shared location basis.)at 6:30pm. This group has been reading and discussing, "Who Stole My Church?", and as a result of their progress, met with the SLYM youth in November for an open discussion night focusing on what the youth can give and need from the church. The sharing of mission and ministry has a way of bringing people together across all generations.



The other shared ministry that began in September, was our shared Confirmation classes. This group of 7,8 and 9th graders meet Sunday evenings on a bimonthly basis for group discussions, activities and a new curriculum called "Reform". This combined group of twenty-eight students are building a strong sense of community and learning foundational truths about the Lutheran faith. These meetings also rotate their meeting place to a partnership location throughout the program year.



With all this sharing taking place within the Lutheran community, it was only a matter of time before the sharing began to pour into the neighborhood! For the month of October, all SLYM partnership churches collected non-perishable grocery items to be gathered and delivered to Joint Neighborhood Project on Thursday November 11th. The group of twenty eight youth and adults loaded the groceries into JNP, helped to restock and organize the community food pantry and learned more about the work JNP does for the people of Jamestown.



Patty Perle, director for JNP, told the group that in the last year JNP had provided 90,000 meals for 10,000 people, equaling 1/3 of the population of Jamestown that was cared for by their ministry.



How can I get involved?

The youth of our churches were impressed by all the work that JNP does and continues to do in the holiday season and months ahead. Santa's Secret Shop is next on the list of projects for JNP on Saturday, December 11 from 9:00 to 11:30am at Immanuel Lutheran Church. JNP needs help from Santa's Helpers (over age 12) to help the kids pick out gifts for their special adults. She needs help from adults with: purchasing or donating gifts, bags, wrapping paper, tape etc for the shop, and then wrapping the gifts for the kids during the shop. There are about 130 kids scheduled to shop at this time with each child being able to select 8 gifts, so JNP needs lots of presents that these young children can purchase for 25 cents each.

John 15: 5 say this,
"Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing.

What else can sharing accomplish?
We all have gifts and abilities that God can use, and we must continue in the vine - in Christ - working together to fulfill the picture of a mission sharing Christian community. It just goes to show you that once sharing has started, just how far the ripples can travel, the vine branches can reach and God's love can impact our Lutheran community, our city and even the world. While sharing during this holiday season is very important, it's good to know that the season of sharing isn't limited to the holidays, but is a practice that can be celebrated each day! Thank you for sharing, it's making all the difference in the world.


If you would like to join in helping with any of these or other ministry opportunities, please call me at 969-3950 or contact JNP directly at 664-7101.

Comments

dianne said…
I haven't stopped to leave a comment in a while but just had to respond to this post. This is really encouraging to read and what a great idea. Ooh and I love your new blog look!

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness