Skip to main content

Waiting for my real life to begin, again.

The lyrics to the song "Waiting for my real life to begin" by Colin Hay capture the feelings of hoping for more in life. A telephone call with the answer you've been dying to hear, that ship to come in that seems to have the only answer.But with each verse of longing in the song, the speaker is met with the refrain,
"Be still my love, open your heart,
let the light shine in.


It happens that we can start to think that the grass is greener over there, or that if this or that accomplishment when achieved that all of life's difficulty will be resolved. However,this often is untrue. Life is full of challenge, no matter the color of the grass.

Joan Chittester say's this about painful and difficult times in life in her book ' Breath of the Soul',
" The truth is that it is pain and need and vulnerability
that lead us directly to God. We become a prayer. We throw
ourselves on the heart of God. We look for the balm that
does not exist in this world as we know it. Then we trust
our lives to our only salvation - the love and mercy of God."


Learning to be content in all circumstances is something that all Christians are challenged with. Paul writes in Phillippians 4:11-13:
11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I
know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to
have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in
any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry,
whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all
this through him who gives me strength.


We can choose to look to the horizon for the moment that our proverbial ship to comes in...
Any minute now my ship is coming in
I'll keep checking the horizon
And I'll stand on the bow
And feel the waves come crashing
Come crashing down, down, down on me.

(Lyrics by Colin Hay/ waiting for my life to begin)

Somehow, I imagine God speaks to all of us these words of
comfort -
"Be still, my love. Open up your heart, let the light shine in.
Don't you understand? I already have a plan."


It can be hard to wait on the timing and means of God, but who's
perspective on life and time is clearer - ours or God's?

Prayer:
God, help us to trust you in all times and circumstances. Help us
to live joyfully in the knowledge that we are truly, fully and wholly
beloved by you. Help us to remember that You created us and the
horizon we find ourselves watching each morning - and we can trust
You in each moment and circumstances each sunrise brings.

Comments

Mel said…
I know you know I needed to hear this.

G-d does take really good care of me.....

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes things are just too small

Sweet Dreams by David Whyte from 'The House of Belonging' When your eyes are tired the world is tired also. When your vision has gone no part of the world can find you. Time to go into the dark where the night has eyes to recognize its own. There you can be sure you are not beyond love. The dark will be your womb tonight. The night will give you a horizon further than you can see. You must learn one thing. The world was made to be free in. Give up all other worlds except the one to which you belong. Sometimes it takes darkness and the sweet confinement of your aloneness to learn anything or anyone that does not bring you alive is too small for you. The slumber of winter has transitioned into spring. The season of lent's wilderness journey has carried us to a time of resurrection, joy and new life. This poem by David Whyte speaks about transition and change. According to the poet's perspective, a time of rest or dreaming can lead to an opportunity for growth, developme...

FCE - Dog stroke in spine

Kahlúa is our 15 year old dog that we adopted from the Humane Society when she was four. She joined our family and has been with us for eleven years so far. This morning we found her laying on the carpet in the dining room and was unable to get up and go outside. After letting her rest for a few hours, I gave her some bread to eat and she got up. She was wobbly so I scooped her up and took her outside to go to the bathroom. She managed to remain standing for a few minutes, but was back down quickly. Her back legs did not want to support her even though she was trying to walk. By this point, she had begin to cry so I called the vet and they said to bring her in for an evaluation. My kids and I tearfully wrapped her up in a blanket and drove to the vet. It seemed as if we were sitting in the waiting room forever. The vet told me that her heart, eye function, and lungs were great - also taking into consideration her age of 15! The problem seemed to be FCE - firocartilanginous embolism: w...

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo...