Skip to main content

15 books that made a difference

A Facebook friend tagged me in this meme and I couldn't resist. Here goes my effort to recall the first 15 books that have stuck with me.

1. Circle of Quiet by Madeline L'Engle. This book made me what to go to back to college.

2. Sacred Space - this devotional book is published every year and has been my most consistent companion in my prayer life.

3. The New Moosewood Cookbook - This cookbook offers incredibly tasty vegetarian dishes. Its always fun to cook out of.

4. The Message - Whenever I'm looking for a fresh way of looking at scripture I look in Eugene Peterson's paraphrase version of the Bible.

5. Bird by bird by Anne Lamott. I don't think this book is one a writer is ever "done" with. Just when you think there is no more to write about, Anne pushes you to dig deeper.

6. The Shack by William P. Young - I read this last summer when I had been laid off and was dealing with so many emotions. It helped me make my way through to the other side.

7. The Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy by Douglas Adams - so funny, so strange. It makes me laugh our loud!

8. Messy Spirituality by Mike Yaconelli. I knew I was a mess, but this book helped me know I'm not alone in feeling this way.

9. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein. The little book is somewhat sad, but I love its picture of unconditional and selfless love.

10. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L'Engle. Time/space travel is groovy.

11. Letters to a young poet by Rilke. A beautiful, beautiful book.

12. Soul Graffiti by Mark Scandrette. My copy of this book is tattered by the times I've read and re-read it. It really connected with me.

13. 40 days and the Jesus Creed by Scot McKnight. I read this book with an online book group and had the opportunity to rehash and really think through it. After all this, I know I still have a long way to go to truly understand and apply how to love God with all of me and love others as I love myself. It's good to know 40 days aren't enough to learn this.

14. Are you there God, it's me Margaret by Judy Blume. I think I read this book 20 times when I was 13. It helped me know that God wasn't afraid of any of my questions.

15. James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl. Again this book is wacky and weird but that unconditional love theme will get me every time.

What are your 15?


Here are the rules if you'd like to join in:
Don't take too long to think about it. Fifteen books (plays, essays, et al.) you've read that will always stick with you. First fifteen you can recall in no more than 15 minutes. Tag 15 friends, including me because I'm interested in seeing what books my friends value. (Anyone may join in!)

Comments

Mel said…
I'm hopeless. *laughing* In the first 15 seconds I changed my mind 5 times, at least.

Interesting list..... Ty.

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness