Skip to main content

Swb: Comfort


"Gray" from Don Perovich's log.

In a world where discomfort and pain seem to get the greatest amount of attention, my friend Mary Lue leads the way on her Sleeping with bread host post with words of comfort that rush over me like a warm tide.

"You will call and I will answer you; you will long for the creature your hands have made. Surely then you will count my steps but not keep track of my sin" (Job 14:15-16)


All week long it seems a series of discomforts were in the works of life. My son's broken wrist, some challenges with allergy asthma and exercise, rain that never seemed it would stop, and a meeting that was so negative that it effected my mood for way too many days of the week. In many ways it was a gray week.


Image from China Daily.

But then there were many, many comforts that were like beams of sunlight breaking the grayness away. Like having a Greek lunch with my son and having both of us laugh at the challenge of eating soup with his left hand due to his new cast on his right. Going to the movies and having the entire theater to ourselves to enjoy the new 3-d movie, "X Games", driving out of town not once - but twice to take the kiddos school shopping, having a quick lunch with a good friend, meeting someone new and having them pray for both my friend and I in a restaurant - sounds weird but somehow it wasn't, going for a few runs later in the week and finally being able to breathe fully, spending some fun time with my kids, singing with my whole heart boldly in worship on Sunday, sitting down to a crock pot lunch with my family (including my mother in law who rarely get a break) for a relaxing meal and conversation, and a lovely Sunday afternoon nap.

Did I mention a nap?

Upon waking from my nap, I picked up the book, 'Eat, pray, love' by Elizabeth Gilbert that I've been meandering through for the past week or so. In the page I opened to I found her talking about the joy of rest and comfort. In her childhood, although happy - it was very simplistic and puritan. Seeking comfort and rest were not a part of her everyday life. At this point in her story, she is in Italy and surrounded by beauty and comfort. Instead of denying herself the delicacies of Italy, she embraces them fully taking note of the colors, textures and flavors.



She soaked in all the comforts in order to have strength to face the challenges before her. Good thinking Elizabeth!

I got up from my nap, put on my new fuzzy sweater that I'd planned on saving for fall, headed to the store and bought the fixings for bruschetta and a lovely green salad. I also got ice cream for the family. (My daughter just sat down behind me with a bowl of ice cream and said, "Yeah, Ice cream is good!")

As I cooked my zucchini and tomatoes with pesto to place on top of my salad greens and avocado slices, I felt the grayness of last week finally melt away. I drizzled olive oil over the colorful plate and placed some bruschetta on the side and felt happy. I poured a glass of red wine and savored every sip. Rest is good.


Image from Foodie rant.

We played scrabble and laughed so hard our faces hurt.

It is amazing to me that even on gray weeks, that when Monday's sleeping with bread meme time comes, the comfort always outweigh the discomfort. As I head into a new week with come challenges to face and a new school year to help my children adjust to I've already been pursued by these words of comfort on Sunday morning and I will carry them with me all this week. In grayness and sunlight, these words have already caught my attention.

2 Timothy 1:7 The Message
"God doesn't want us to be shy with his gifts, but bold and loving and sensible."


Be bold - use your gifts - and don't forget what good a nap, a good book and little bruschetta can do. (Lol - bruschetta is my bread!)

Comments

Dianne said…
Good post, good pics! I haven't done a SWB post in a while but enjoyed reading yours this morning. Blessings.
Dianne said…
Oh darn, meant to say I read Eat, Pray, Love last summer and LOVED it!
Mel said…
First MaryLUE delivers a message, and now one from your direction.

I'm pretty convinced the Big Guy is wanting my attention.
*laughing*
No....I know He'd like my attention and my affection--maybe just long enough for me to receive some of His back.

You ever have one of those 'duh ME' moments?
Yup.....I'm thinkin' I'm having one.

Thank you for being one of my messengers today.

*hugs*
Tara Lamont said…
Happy to help - hopefully I have good ears to listen with too!
Unknown said…
Thanks for the kind words about my post (Lamont & Mel).

I feel the same way that you do... when Monday comes, the comforts outweigh the discomforts. And when you are looking to be and open to being comforted, just a few small comforts can do battle with a large number of discomforts.

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness