Skip to main content

What pattern is my life?



Last night at youth group we tie dyed some t-shirts to wind down to the end of summer vacation and to start off the new school year right. Tie dyes are always fun to make, but it's always good to know what kind of design you'd like to create before you start pouring the dye willy nilly. Depending on your choice of pattern( the spiral, the bulls-eye, the crinkle and many more) you need to rubber band the shirt in a particular way and apply the dye carefully so that you saturate the t-shirt enough to create a distinctive pattern.



Last evening as we began tie dyeing, Heather decided to go for the spiral pattern (which you can see here) while I made a bulls-eye pattern. All in all I think we both got the balance of pattern and dye saturation down rater well. There have been many times that I've made tie dyes that I either don't think about the pattern or over-saturate the shirt in dye and end up with a muddy brown ugly blend of a mess.



Our discussion at youth was about Jesus ministry of "proclaiming good news to the poor", " giving sight to the blind", "setting the oppressed free", "proclaiming the year of the Lord's favor." We talked about the disciples being and trying to live in a way that followed Jesus' example. The disciples are sometimes referred to as, "little Christs". I asked the students how we were doing as a church and a youth group as living like little Christs. I asked them if we were really telling the community about God's love, caring for the communities needs and living as beacons of hope to our small city.

For the most part, the students thought we were doing ok in these areas, from their perspective youth group provides them a safe place to spend time with their friends and have some cookies every now and then. One young man read the phrase about caring for the poor and said " When I come here and I'm hungry you always feed me. On a scale of 1-10 - you get a 10!" I still smile as I think of his funny yet sincere and thought provoking statement.

I looked at my tie dye shirt drying outdoors this morning, I began to wonder - "Am I really living a life that follows your pattern, Jesus?" On a scale of 1-10 am I seeing and responding in a little Christ way to those around me? Am I giving more than cookies and kool-aid to my students each week at youth group? When I look at my life, what pattern have I chosen to create, my own design or one that looks to G-d for direction and pacing.

Who would have thought that my student's lesson would speak back to me this morning in the form of a newly tie dyed shirt that just so happened to be a "life" brand inside the collar. What is my life's pattern? I pray it is one of light, hope, love and of course cookies every now and then.

On Friday, we all promised to wear our tie dyes together to keep us united as a group, even as we are in different places. Its my prayer that we are united as "little Christs" as well.
:)

Galatians 5:22-23 (New International Version)

22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.


For more on the concept of "little Christs" go to the blog yearns&groans by Will.

Comments

Sheri, RN said…
How fun! I remember doing this at camp too. :)
Mel said…
Awesome, awesome, awesome!!
I do hope they all don their shirts...proudly.

Popular posts from this blog

SWB: Claustrophobia and clearings

Mary Lue shared her host post on business and rest for this weeks Sleeping with Bread Examen. Her words resonated with me in the fact that due to a significant staff change at my office, there is more work to be done and my plate is feeling fuller lately. There have been more meetings, and lots of talking and planning. For the most part, I've felt much more connected to people since I've become more involved in this way, but oddly when I'm done for the day or night - I find myself in need of some quiet. Maybe I'm still sorting and planning in the back of my mind, but silence (even my own) is something I find myself being more and more drawn too. It's like the extra noise, both internal and external, makes me feel claustrophobic . A few days after Christmas, I went into a game store with my son and was overwhelmed by all the noise and activity there. The store was tiny but filled with kids and their parents vying for their video game of choice. My head felt hot, my

Sunny and rainy day friends

There are two kinds of friends in the world: Sunny day friends and rainy day friends. This is a statement that my Mom used to remind me of when I was in the midst of drama or conflict with one school friend of another. There are lots of people that we define as friends, but they are really acquaintances. Two men were out hunting in the northern U.S. Suddenly one yelled and the other looked up to see a grizzly charging them. The first started to frantically put on his tennis shoes and his friend anxiously asked, "What are you doing? Don't you know you can't outrun a grizzly bear?" "I don't have to outrun a grizzly. I just have to outrun you!" This story is funny, but it does help define the distinct difference between a rainy day friend and a sunny day friend. The sunny-day-friend is more concerned with watching out for their own health and wellness, than their friends' wellbeing. On the other hand, a rainy day friend is willing to take risks, work fo

What Summer Camp Means to Me...

  I was around six-years-old when I first went to sleep-away summer camp.  At the time I lived in PA and the camp (through my church) was in Ohio. All school year, I attended Sunday School faithfully partially because regular attendance allowed my family scholarships to help with the cost of Summer Camp. Over the school year, I attended most Sunday's and by the end of the year, my little coupon book was full of stamps - providing me with a scholarship to attend a camp session. I provide this background on how I first got to go to camp, because it is an essential part of explaining what Summer Camp meant (and means) to me.   Going away to Summer Camp gave me a whole new experience of community. The whole process of going to and attending was the first times I experienced, "it takes a village", personally. From the Sunday School Teachers who drove a sedan full of kids to Ohio, to the counselors and staff who supported new campers: through the first 48 hours of homesickness